Thursday, July 9, 2009

This week's lunches: July 6-10 2009

I take a packed lunch nearly every day. When I'm on the ball I pack it the night before; when I'm really on the ball I take a picture and post it on the Internet. It's more for the sake of record keeping and my own interest than anything else, but I thought I'd share a bit.


I started putting more effort into it when I was putting in long days at school and was often packing both lunch and dinner. I often take inspiration from Japanese bento box style meals, mostly in terms of preparation and packing rather than the actual dishes.


Despite my interest in food and cooking I eat a lot of the same things. An example is carrot sticks. I could eat raw carrots until I turn orange. (Hopefully I won't, apparently that's an actual possibility...wasn't there a House episode about that?)


I love love love my Lock&Lock containers...they're air and water tight, and the large sizes are perfect for lunch, while the smaller ones hold snacks well. I generally don't microwave the plastic, so if there is something I want to microwave I put it in the large...muglike thing. It doesn't seal as well though; if I'm bringing soup I'll often freeze it so it stays solid and is less likely to leak.


Most things I eat at room temperature: my lunch only spends ~3-4 hours in my desk in an air-conditioned building so I'm not too worried from a food safety perspective. The eggs you see got eaten midmorning, so they were only out of the fridge for 2 hours.


You can see more in my flickr stream.

No comments: